We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- 1 pound dried gigante beans, dried lima beans, or dried Great Northern beans
- 3 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
- 8 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth
- 1 28-ounce can whole plum tomatoes in juice (preferably San Marzano), tomatoes chopped, juice reserved
- 1/4 cup ouzo (Greek anise-flavored liqueur)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (preferably Greek)
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
Place beans in large bowl. Pour enough water over to cover beans by 3 inches; let soak overnight. Drain beans; set aside.
Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and garlic and sauté until onions are golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Add beans, 8 cups chicken broth, tomatoes with juice, vinegar, ouzo, oregano, and crushed red pepper to pot; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until beans are tender, adding more broth by cupfuls to keep beans submerged and stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 hours, depending on freshness of beans. If necessary, uncover and cook beans until tomato mixture thickens and liquid is slightly reduced, 10 to 15 minutes. Season beans to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. DO AHEAD Beans can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm beans before continuing, adding more chicken broth by 1/2 cupfuls if beans are dry.
Stir chopped fresh dill into beans. Serve with octopus.