We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Classic Italian risotto gets a fresh fall twist with the addition of naturally sweet butternut squash and earthy mushrooms.
- 2 ½ cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, quartered
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt, divided
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 32 ounces Pacific organic free range chicken broth (1 container)
- 8 ounces arborio rice (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped parsley leaves
Preheat oven to 400º. Toss butternut squash with 2 Tbsp. olive oil and ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper. Spread out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 14 minutes. Meanwhile, toss mushrooms with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and ¼ tsp. salt. Add to baking sheet with squash, again spreading into a single layer; bake 10 minutes more, until squash is tender but still retains shape, and mushrooms are golden brown and cooked though.
Meanwhile, place chicken broth in a sauce pot over low heat. In a large sauté pan, heat remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil and butter over medium-low. Add onion to pan and sauté until very soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Add ¼ tsp. both salt and pepper. And rice and stir until totally incorporated with oil-onion mixture and slightly toasted, about 1 minute. Stirring constantly, ladle warm chicken broth, ½ cup at a time, until fully absorbed into the rice. This process should take about 20 minutes, until rice is firm-tender and a small amount of liquid remains in the pan. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Gently stir in squash and mushrooms. Divide among bowls and top with more cheese and parsley.